Sunday, January 2, 2011

It Shall Come to Pass

Think about those words. It shall come to pass! We love the thought of a trying situation or circumstance coming to pass. But we seem to get a little resentful that it came in the first place.

I remember many years ago I was teaching at a local recovery meeting. That particular night I was speaking on Step 2 which says “We came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.” I emphasized that night the fact that we first came, then we believed, and out of that we experienced a power greater than ourselves.
In Matthew 5:45 the Bible tells us that it rains on the just and the unjust alike. For the past several weeks I have spoken to many different people about the changing of seasons. These encouraging words were regarding spiritual matters but the illustration God gave me was natural. When our seasons are changing, or have changed, we don’t stand and shout at the elements of the earth. Do we? When the first signs of rain, snow, sunshine come – we don’t walk outside, scratch our heads, grumble toward the sky and refuse to wear the appropriate clothing. No, we suit up for the inevitable, get practical, and embrace what is now upon us or at least prepare ourselves to ride it out. What other choice do we have? Fly south for the winter? Perhaps some of us have that ability.
In this season I have chosen to set my mind on things above and not beneath. This is not living in denial of what is – but positioning my mind on the solution rather than the problem. I have chosen to walk by faith and not by sight. I have chosen to be steadfast and immovable and I know I can do this because with deep roots I will not be tossed to and fro by every wind that blows. I have only obtained these roots by blooming where I was planted. BUT I had to be planted.
In a few weeks I will turn 40 and am very excited about it. There is much that comes from “40”. I am mature enough to know that many more things will come my way in life. I will focus on only what has eternal value. A phrase that became popular this past year for us was “It is what it is!” Some things just are. There is no one to blame, besides what good is wasting that energy? There is nothing we could do, and what a relief to finally be able to stop wrestling to exhaustion.  What peace in knowing that “this too shall pass”.

My encouragement for today is that “It Shall Come to Pass” but you must first know – it shall come!

No comments:

Post a Comment